As one of the most important gastronomy congresses in the world, it’s a great honor for the Philippines to be hosting the Asian edition of Madrid Fusion two years in a row.
As one of the most important gastronomy congresses in the world, it’s a great honor for the Philippines to be hosting the Asian edition of Madrid Fusion two years in a row. This year’s congress commemorates the 450th anniversary of the Galleon Trade. With a rapidly expanding F&B industry in the country, it’s interesting to note that these talks often revolve around the past — basically, heritage. And for this generation — those now starting their careers or still stuck in college — a huge portion of that food heritage actually takes part in convenience stores. Admit it.
Inspired by all these great chefs arriving in Manila, we tried to see if local convenience store goods have what it takes to create a great meal. Sure, we’re not going to sous vide or molecularly deconstruct anything that normally only gets a quick microwave blast, but if Madrid Fusion has taught us anything, it’s that you can always make something amazing with local ingredients. And you can’t get any more local than that convenience store around the corner.
Convenience Store Cheese Steak Noodle
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 pack instant noodles, noodles only
- 2 tbsp Cheez Whiz
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 150g can corned beef
- 1/2 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 small pack barbecue flavored potato chips, crushed
1. Heat a pan with vegetable oil over medium heat and add the onions. Sautée for three to four minutes, or until they are translucent.
2. Add the corned beef and continue to cook until the corned beef just begins to brown, after about six minutes. Set aside.
3. Cook the noodles for 2 1/2 minutes, or just a little below the manufacturer’s instructions. Drain.
4. Heat the milk and Cheez Whiz in a small pan. Add the cooked noodles and mix over the heat for 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate.
5. Top noodles with the corned beef followed by the crushed potato chips. Serve immediately.